Thursday, October 21, 2010

A Morning of Ments

Both excitement and disappointment.

Finally! A couple hours free in my insane schedule to get back to this blog and where is the photo of my Big Red Box from IIN?

So, here, have a picture of my garden produce from July of this year. Isn't it pretty?

I wanted to describe to you all the wonderful things that arrived the Friday morning I was writing to you and got interrupted by the FedEx Home Delivery guy. The box was prettier than anything Santa has ever dropped down my chimney. When I flipped open the top I found a Student Handbook, a red velvet plush heart, a red water bottle with the school's logo printed on it, and a very titillating little white plastic box approximately 4 inches by 2 inches. Sure enough, it contained my IIN-red iPod, fully loaded with coursework. WHEE!!! Let me tell you, it was so exciting, I think the little red velvet plush heart was thumping right along with mine. I was in heaven! Beside myself! Thrilled! Couldn't wait to get started! I shoved the box out of the way but it felt heavier than an empty box should. Whaaaaaat's this? It turns out the box held TWO delicious, lovely layers of wonderful stuff! It was like getting that wooden box of candies from Burdick's and realizing there's another layer of treats below the one you've just mowed through.

Layer two held the text Integrative Nutrition written by the school's founder Joshua Rosenthal. It also held a Fast Track business coaching workbook, a hardcover volume of case histories, two DVDs about healthy shopping and cooking, and a journal. As you can imagine, my head popped off from excitement and rolled around the room for a while. (It's OK, it's back where it belongs now. Not sure I reattached it quite right, though. I know what you're thinking: can't be any worse than it was before.)

This morning FedEx Home Delivery Guy dropped off another box from IIN; this time with a whole booty of gifts just for me! Books, magnets, pencils, journals, bags. I grabbed a photo of those too and uploaded them from the camera to MY computer this time. HA! Who knew the memory card transformed into a little USB jump drive? Goodies! Toys! Bookies! I am so happy!!!

Actually, I must say, this feels very much like it's the right thing for me to be doing. I spend every extra minute of my day reading and studying IIN course materials and messages from fellow students. There's a beautiful online forum where we meet each other, have discussions, post assignments, set up study groups, whack each other upside the head with new and novel ideas about nutrition. On top of all the coursework and home life tasks, I've grabbed responsibility for setting up Facebook groups for two special interests: one is a study circle for Boston metro area students and the other is for people interested in sharing tips for living with or treating irritable bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease. It's bound to help me with future business tasks if I learn how to do things like this now. Facebook is so powerful! Amazement!

Tonight I'm attending a teleseminar about "Having a Healthy, Happy Family" hosted by health coach and former IIN student, Michelle Pfennighaus. I'm looking forward to learning tips that not only help improve my own family's health but help give me ideas about how to run sessions like this for people I hope to help in the future. More menting happening here (that would be mentoring excitement)!

One last note. Juliet's going commando at school today or rather, her lunchbox is. No, not that commando. I'm speaking of refined carbohydrate-free, totally unprocessed snack and lunch. There's a turkey sandwich made from whole wheat bread and turkey breast I roasted myself, grapes, vanilla yogurt, and vanilla milk (we can talk about all that sugar and my belief in gradually transitioning children's food habits another time). Snack is a BPA-free bottle of Brita filtered water and sliced apples with cinnamon-sugar "dip". Let's hope this adds another ment, astonishment that she's eaten it, to my day.

Guy just phoned. Look what he found! Big Red Box photos! Fulfillment!

Layer 1















Layer 2
















1 comment:

  1. Love your blog! I wish you great success in your new nutrition career!

    ReplyDelete